The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    i just got my palo alto certification - PCNSE6 - Palo Alto certified network security engineer. it was easy and its the equivalent of a CCNP in security (which i already have)

Palo alto is the future in security.

whats makes it superior?

I wouldn't call PA superior overall, but their management platform is better than Cisco. And well so are centralized management platforms for Juniper SRX and Checkpoint (better than Cisco). Performance wise, Cisco is better. Damn near all of them are Linux boxes on the backend with different chipsets and asics (other than Checkooint variations e.g. Nokia).

Other than that, Palo Alto networks is a player staying in their lane. It's a relatively small company with a couple of buildings. They moved into Yahoos old buildings 2 years back. Their major selling point is that they are focused on firewalls. So it's a laser focus for the entire company vs. companies with business units that do firewall products. This focus puts them ahead in their lane like Riverbed cut into and took over the WAN Optimization market so Cisco is (feature depth-wise) playing catch up in both of those lanes. PA along with Checkpoint lead the way for next gen firewall products mainly because their mgmt platforms are so scalable vs Cisco who's major advantage has been performance and but weak point is enterprise management. But Cisco did buy Source Fire which is going to add to their depth to make their firewalls "next gen firewalls" like Checkpoint and PA. The drawback and irony of it all is that "next gen" features (ips, scanning, automated response to VMs, etc) take so much fine tuning, impede performance, and throw so many false positives (sec threat alerts) that people end up turning most of that ? off. As long as they have a cluster of firewalls performing well, a bank of web caches, load balancers, and some inline sec scanning tools most businesses are happy.

PA is partnering with other players like A10 to bring integrated solutions so there are some emerging things coming down the pipe. Depending on what's needed I guess it could be superior......for a particular customer.

Also, deployment wise (depth of integrated sec features aside) PA isn't doing anything any of the other companies aren't. The way their firewalls work are pretty much the same as everyone else's...clusters, failover pairs, blah blah. Cisco clustering is currently more scalable than PAs though (but they function damn near identical as far as how they handle network traffic).

To wrap it all up......know them all and how what fits where....and you can sell any of them to get that bread.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going to drop the PDFs after work
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going to drop the PDFs after work

Thanks
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9tut.net I am studying for my CCENT/CCNA now.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Links to my small collection of cert books on dropbox

It has CCNA sec+ and ceh and ccnp books

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j1g6igzd7izlt0k/AABaq53vIqZ9wfpzXzV2SYj6a?dl=0
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Links to my small collection of cert books on dropbox

It has CCNA sec+ and ceh and ccnp books

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j1g6igzd7izlt0k/AABaq53vIqZ9wfpzXzV2SYj6a?dl=0

good looks!
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get a help desk gig

I gave up trying , my plan was to get the CCENT cert and an internship this summer but these summer classes been kicking my ass the past 7 weeks
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get a help desk gig

keep grinding. make sure you at least know how to build a pc (if you dont already)
  • caddo man
    Options
    I pass the CCNA 100-101 after the second try, so I am CCENT cert'd! Now I am taking the Net+ and SEC+. I am trying to use up all these vouchers I have. My goal is to have my CCNA routing and switching, NET+, SEC+ and my CCNA Security by the end of the year. If I get it done early I will go for my CEH and Microsoft 7, 8 & 10 certs. I will have my GI bill pay for those.

I am already starting to do some creative wording on my resume so I will go from 1 year of IT experience to 5 years of IT experience.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I pass the CCNA 100-101 after the second try, so I am CCENT cert'd! Now I am taking the Net+ and SEC+. I am trying to use up all these vouchers I have. My goal is to have my CCNA routing and switching, NET+, SEC+ and my CCNA Security by the end of the year. If I get it done early I will go for my CEH and Microsoft 7, 8 & 10 certs. I will have my GI bill pay for those.

I am already starting to do some creative wording on my resume so I will go from 1 year of IT experience to 5 years of IT experience.

aye ? the NET+ you'll be wasting your time. just finish up the CCNA cert and get the SEC+ if you really want it. you could also just get the CCNA security if you want to go the security route.
  • caddo man
    edited July 2015
    Options

aye ? the NET+ you'll be wasting your time. just finish up the CCNA cert and get the SEC+ if you really want it. you could also just get the CCNA security if you want to go the security route.

Security is my eventual path. But I want to get some network experience first. I actually like Networking. I ? around with Packet tracer and GNS3 just trying to figure out different scenarios. I am naturally curious about how things work.
  • King Erauno
    Options

Security is my eventual path. But I want to get some network experience first. I actually like Networking. I ? around with Packet tracer and GNS3 just trying to figure out different scenarios. I am naturally curious about how things work.

good ? . i took the security track myself
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I haven't been in here in awhile...I see a lot of ya'll studying for the CCNA... I just started myself...studying the CCNA Routing and Switching study guide....look like this is gonna be hell.

• Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So you got the CCNA before the Security+..Props.....I got my Sec+ and just starting the CCNA.....the CCNA is hell compared to Sec+
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Mr Popo wrote: »

So you got the CCNA before the Security+..Props.....I got my Sec+ and just starting the CCNA.....the CCNA is hell compared to Sec+

how hard was the sec+ exam? i took the intro sec class at school and got the testout sec pro cert but I want the Comptia joint
  • caddo man
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bruh the CCNA 100-101 is mostly IPv4

All I did was write down a simple conversion chart before I took the test.

25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

And learn the binary 1 and 0.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs39FWDhzDs
    That chart answered at the least 15 questions.

Also learn the simple commands like sho run, sho ip int br, sho int f0/0 and the password commands. That will help you get by the interactive section.

I had a chance to play with an Army network while embedded with them so I actually used those commands and play with a router and switch.

9tut.net and GNS3. There is a cisco packet tracer download I saw but I cant remember the site. If I find it I will drop the link.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody familiar with Ghost? Need a little enlightenment (basic overview, experience, similar programs, usefulness) i downloaded the pdf and started skimming, potential contact offer coming up

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_ghost_solution_suite/2.5/manuals/Ghost_imp_guide.pdf

• King Erauno
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Anybody familiar with Ghost? Need a little enlightenment (basic overview, experience, similar programs, usefulness) i downloaded the pdf and started skimming, potential contact offer coming up

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_ghost_solution_suite/2.5/manuals/Ghost_imp_guide.pdf

yeah. its imaging software designed to make OS installs super quick and easy. say you have to deploy windows 7 on 500 machines that are exactly the same. you actually build one from scratch exactly how you want it and then use ghost to copy that image to a server. then push the copy down to the 499 other machines.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok i got you
    So is there an option to have the perrmissions built in to the image also?
    Or is it just used to deploy
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Ok i got you
    So is there an option to have the perrmissions built in to the image also?
    Or is it just used to deploy

not sure. when i used it years ago, you would have to strip off the SSID of the machine (all the identification from that particular machine) to make an image
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im taking my net plus in a couple of weeks the teacher condensed two books into chapters of pp slides i can drop a lank if anybody is interested
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Bruh the CCNA 100-101 is mostly IPv4

All I did was write down a simple conversion chart before I took the test.

25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

And learn the binary 1 and 0.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs39FWDhzDs
    That chart answered at the least 15 questions.

Also learn the simple commands like sho run, sho ip int br, sho int f0/0 and the password commands. That will help you get by the interactive section.

I had a chance to play with an Army network while embedded with them so I actually used those commands and play with a router and switch.

9tut.net and GNS3. There is a cisco packet tracer download I saw but I cant remember the site. If I find it I will drop the link.

yea my boy said that his test had like 1 or 2 ipv6 questions

not gonna lie I still dont know IPV6 lol
  • caddo man
    Options
    I will learn IPv6 just for the test and that is it. All of the dudes I know that do networking sitting on calculators for IPs.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    i dont know ipv6 either *shrugs*
  • caddo man
    edited July 2015
    Options
    http://examsforall.com/

Here you can download free practice tests for such certifications as MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CCNP, and so on. All tests on this site have been created with VCE Exam Simulator. Dont buy the one on the site. There is a workaround that I found to download the trial version of VCE.

I thought I dropped it here last week but I cant find my link.