Let Me Pull Your Coat About KRS One

Options

Comments

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Krs One aren't elite to Kool G. Rap, Rakim, Kane & etc. He is average. He struggled & got bodied by Nelly. So just imagine what them three would've did him if he tried to diss them.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    That's like if a ? say some slick ? that may not be directly talking about you but it's still disrespectful so you approach a dude about it.

Lmao jamaica wat the ? kinda world do u live in family. who does this? if the ? know its not about him why would he still approach him? krs one knew nelly looked up to him, he just wanted some attention.

if some poster randomly say ? u must gon randomly take offense and ban em?

If a ? said Jamaicans are ? . That line isn't directly directed at me but I'll see about it though. Get my point now?

no u wont bruh

no u ? wont.

if u know u not ? u gon go about ya day.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    I bet a KRS reality show would be boring as ?

Who nose
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    take the music they made out of the question, success/accolades wise

yall would rather have krs one career or nelly's last 15 years?

no diss on either side im just curious.

I'd rather be a legend than a fly by night rapper. And it ain't like KRS One is broke either.

so u'd rather have krs 1 career?

whats the definition of fly by night?

does being relevant for 12 years musically and 15 period fall under that?

Nelly had a 4 year run you may stretch it out to 6. He's not a legend, no one has him in their top 5/10, he has no classic albums.

KRS 1 is a legend, highly influential, classic albums and is a debatable goat depending on who you ask. So yes I'd rather have KRS career.

Define "relevant"?

nelly may not be a legend but he's either had hit singles, successful albums, or both that span from 2000 to 2012(his last top 5 hit) he may not be a top lyricist and of course its not ALL about selling records but, he made music that moved the crowd and satisfied his lane. he is an artist that reached a level of commercial success that krs one never has come close to. and now ? are clowning him for being a reality star but its not love and hip hop so im not to sure whats wrong with that, in general id say he's much more relevant overall than krs 1. to say he's fly by night is absurd.

now krs is a hip hop legend that paved ways for rappers today. id never go as far as saying debatable goat with people like nas or jay z (not to mention several of his peers) existing but yea. that classic album ? is subjective. when u say nelly had a run what do u mean? mainstream? how long was krs 1's mainstream run?

His last successful album was dropped in 2004. His only hit after Grillz in 2005 was Just A Dream, outside of that he's dropped non impactful singles and flopped albums. So like I said Nelly's run was 4 years, I gave him 6 because he had himself a hit with Grillz. You want to know what rapper had a truly long run its the Eminem's and the Jigga's that had that long sustained run, it's the LL Cool J's that had 10+ year runs, not Nelly. Nelly has his lane but he's a fly by night rapper. His audience were mostly fickle fans that dickrides the latest trends. He's a pop rapper that should never be placed in the same category as legends.

I've chopped it up with oldheads who don't even put Jay Z and Nas in their top 5, but KRS One is there though. That's some perspective for your ass.

lol oh u mean the old heads who think everything after them is wack and say hip hop is dead as soon as a new generation comes up. yea they definitely had some perspective for me

when i think fly by night i think chicken noodle soup or some ? , nelly is still having success now. not sayin he a legend but everybody dont have to be, doesnt mean he aint have a good career.

Nelly had a run and is a footnote in hip hop history. He had his lane, but if yall keep ? on a pioneer like KRS while bigging up Nelly, then it's fair to call him fly by night. Nelly has success as he's now delved into acting, can't take that away from him. But he'll never be as important and revered in this culture as KRS One and no amount of pop hits and sales will change that.

ive seen a lot of the people in here that think nelly won or dont fool with krs give him his credit so idk where ? on a pioneer comes from, just like idk where yall got the idea ? think he wasnt an influence

Strangely enough most of the people that thought Nelly won the battle are southerners.

So y'all don't see people on here ? on KRS One?

He's influential and shouldn't even be in the same category as no damn Nelly. The fact that we're having this discussion is a problem in itself.

look at jamaica tryna start region ? and u supposed to be a moderator. what does "southerners" have to do with anything. u lookin like a clown now. p. town 5 grand and turfaholic say nelly won. where they from? or better yet, how did krs 1 win the battle, he said he had tracks for days and would end nelly and stop his sales, he did neither. and had such superb lines about acne. thats like yall saying the cavs still won the title this year despite yall clearly seeing gs winning 4 games. ive seen people in here sayin they simply dont ? with krs one. me saying ll>>krs is not shittin on him. would u consider yourself dissing nelly by sayin u dont ? with him? u know damn well nelly aint just no reality star to a generation and u know damn well nobody puts him up there with krs lyrically stop ? playin dumb bruh.

once again(not counting obvious trolls)

"Krs one not influential"-NO ONE
    "Krs one not a legend"-NOT A SOUL
    "Krs one not a better lyricist than nelly"-NOBODY
    "Krs one in the same category as damn nelly"-NARY A PERSON

at this point u ? are fooling urselves into thinking ? dissing krs cuz u cant imagine a world where ? think differently from typical hip hop elitists. reminds me of children who get mad at ? they imaginary friend said to em.

I'm not starting any regional drama I'm going by what I see. It's mostly southerners that say Nelly won the beef, southerners like genocide, yourself, p.town, Sanford, billy poncho etc said Nelly won the beef, you may get a few non southerners here and there but it's mostly southerners saying that ? . KRS One dropped the better diss records lyrically ? on Nelly. But because KRS One was out of the mainstream spotlight it went unnoticed or people didn't care. It's funny that you say KRS didn't end Nelly's career, but after the beef Nelly got booed off the summerjam stage and his popularity waned after the beef. Is it coincidence, maybe but you can't deny Nelly's stock didn't drop after the beef a mere year later.

I never said or implied that you thinking LL made better music meant you were ? on KRS One, I simply said that LL making better music than KRS is subjective. To a generation that came up after Nelly's run was long over, they mainly know him for reality shows and acting. Just like people knew nothing about Madden except that the games were named after him. I never said no one didn't think he was a legend or anything, all I said was that y'all are putting him up there with KRS One and this discussion is proof of that.

The disconnect is the idea that Nelly won the battle against KRS One, when that is false.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The most sampled emcee in the Hip Hop game..

I think KRS took his "Knowledge Reigns Supreme" moniker a little too seriously and his living by the true definition of what Hip Hop is and if you don't live by his principle, then you're not Hip Hop mindset...that's what turned off the younger generation about him.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd rather be a legend than a fly by night rapper. And it ain't like KRS One is broke either.

Nelly had a 4 year run you may stretch it out to 6. He's not a legend, no one has him in their top 5/10, he has no classic albums.

KRS 1 is a legend, highly influential, classic albums and is a debatable goat depending on who you ask. So yes I'd rather have KRS career.

Define "relevant"?

lol oh u mean the old heads who think everything after them is wack and say hip hop is dead as soon as a new generation comes up. yea they definitely had some perspective for me

when i think fly by night i think chicken noodle soup or some ? , nelly is still having success now. not sayin he a legend but everybody dont have to be, doesnt mean he aint have a good career.

Nelly had a run and is a footnote in hip hop history. He had his lane, but if yall keep ? on a pioneer like KRS while bigging up Nelly, then it's fair to call him fly by night. Nelly has success as he's now delved into acting, can't take that away from him. But he'll never be as important and revered in this culture as KRS One and no amount of pop hits and sales will change that.

ive seen a lot of the people in here that think nelly won or dont fool with krs give him his credit so idk where ? on a pioneer comes from, just like idk where yall got the idea ? think he wasnt an influence

Strangely enough most of the people that thought Nelly won the battle are southerners.

He's influential and shouldn't even be in the same category as no damn Nelly. The fact that we're having this discussion is a problem in itself.

look at jamaica tryna start region ? and u supposed to be a moderator. what does "southerners" have to do with anything. u lookin like a clown now. p. town 5 grand and turfaholic say nelly won. where they from? or better yet, how did krs 1 win the battle, he said he had tracks for days and would end nelly and stop his sales, he did neither. and had such superb lines about acne. thats like yall saying the cavs still won the title this year despite yall clearly seeing gs winning 4 games. ive seen people in here sayin they simply dont ? with krs one. me saying ll>>krs is not shittin on him. would u consider yourself dissing nelly by sayin u dont ? with him? u know damn well nelly aint just no reality star to a generation and u know damn well nobody puts him up there with krs lyrically stop ? playin dumb bruh.

at this point u ? are fooling urselves into thinking ? dissing krs cuz u cant imagine a world where ? think differently from typical hip hop elitists. reminds me of children who get mad at ? they imaginary friend said to em.

I'm not starting any regional drama I'm going by what I see. It's mostly southerners that say Nelly won the beef, southerners like genocide, yourself, p.town, Sanford, billy poncho etc said Nelly won the beef, you may get a few non southerners here and there but it's mostly southerners saying that ? . KRS One dropped the better diss records lyrically ? on Nelly. But because KRS One was out of the mainstream spotlight it went unnoticed or people didn't care. It's funny that you say KRS didn't end Nelly's career, but after the beef Nelly got booed off the summerjam stage and his popularity waned after the beef. Is it coincidence, maybe but you can't deny Nelly's stock didn't drop after the beef a mere year later.

I never said or implied that you thinking LL made better music meant you were ? on KRS One, I simply said that LL making better music than KRS is subjective. To a generation that came up after Nelly's run was long over, they mainly know him for reality shows and acting. Just like people knew nothing about Madden except that the games were named after him. I never said no one didn't think he was a legend or anything, all I said was that y'all are putting him up there with KRS One and this discussion is proof of that.

The disconnect is the idea that Nelly won the battle against KRS One, when that is false.

u are reaching and tryna start regional ? , u used to be better than this. u dont even know where ? is from(no one knows where genocide is from)

KRS One dropped the better diss records lyrically ? on Nelly-subjective as ? u prolly cant even recall any quotables w/o google's help.

lol @ mainstream spotlight, a place krs has never been. he never needed it for any of his other beefs but now its a valid excuse, ? please. and u know damn well he aint end nelly career. and i hope u aint just making up that summer jam ? . nelly was at such a high, he was bound to fall off, every one has highs and lows to some extent but krs one had no effect on him and u know this. u say maybe its cuz people didnt care. why wouldnt they care about a legend, they cared about cassidy vs meek when meek was the bigger star. maybe krs one diss was just ? wack. this discussion is clearly proof of ? that are fans of ? b4 their time being upset that not everyone likes the same ? and because of that they will reach and cry and even make up more slander about the artist they love than what was actually said.

i could see a generation only knowing nelly for acting if we were talm bout 2025 or sum

at the end of the day krs one aint do what he said he was gon do and his diss musically wasnt strong enough, he lost. its like in sports when a team gets the upset win, dont mean they better fundamentally or overall, but on that night, they lost.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

I'd take a E-40 career over KRS based on the fact my dad used to drive me to elementary school bumping "Players Ball" and now my 5 year old son likes to hear "Choices" on his way to school. That's 3 generations of fans. That's legendary.

AyeCaptain.gif
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is becoming a heated discussion

some could say

its gettin hot in hurr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    I bet a KRS reality show would be boring as ?

Who nose

? !
    Lmaoooooo
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a small tidbit of info ..... Krs had beef with a Dj by the name of P-fine because he played "the P is free" on his Tuesday night radio show (I think it was 88.1 or 88.9) before red alert played "south Bronx" the Friday of the same week. That's why you hear krs say p fine is not down with us on the Still #1 remix
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cybertr0n wrote: »
    I don't know what it did on the charts, I just remember everyone bumping it when it dropped and the video which is a classic

http://youtu.be/o8eyWuqRSMM

props

That Sneak Attack album was slept on.

I remember the first time I heard hot was at this gym I used to go to this Spanish dude would always play new hip hop when he was working, he had that ? cranking to I probably pushed out 5 more reps than I normally would, then right after that another classic banger

http://youtu.be/9JXCmQqK-6s
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Budden didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus although he is a lame at times he is a superior talent and would probably be the first to cosign this thread, I can tell he's a student of the game and respects the pioneers, that ? ? was more personal than it was him just ? on a legend for no reason going back to the days of them being label mates

Yeah he threw budden in a class where he don't belong
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got washed by Nelly in a hip hop beef.

The Sad Part Is A Lot Of These Modern Day ? Baby Era ? Truly Believe This

Why I gotta be all that , fam? I'm 32 years old so I was around for the "Golden age".

And from what EYE remember KRS disses towards Nelly was weak as ? .

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P. Town wrote: »
    Nelly is a fly by night rapper? Never knew

Define "relevant"?

Everything you said in this post is subjective.

Like what? Was Nelly's run longer than 6 years the most? Like what? KRS One being influential? Like what? KRS One isn't considered top 5/goat status depending on who you ask? The only subjective thing I said is about the albums.

If you have to ask certain people if somebody is top 5 then that is subjective. Who in the game right now has KRS One influenced? The top artist in the game right now is a clear offspring of Nelly. And from 2000-2008 Nelly dropped either Gold or Platinum albums. That would make a 9-10 year run.

Old school cats that grew up on 70's/80's hip hop. I used to work with a dude (rip to him) that had Kane as his goat but KRS One was in his top 5, another old dude I knew had KRS in his top 5. So like I said depending on who you ask he's top 5. Younger cats that grew up on 90's/00's hip hop may have a different top 5/goat that may not include KRS.

You ask who in the game right now that he influenced? Nas, Fat Joe, Cam'ron, Snoop, Ice Cube to name a few.

Drake is the hottest in the game right now and there is absolutely nothing similar about them outside of the occasional harmonizing. If that's who you're referencing.

Nelly's last gold/platinum selling (not shipped gold) album was the Sweat/Suit albums he dropped in 2004. Which was the end of his run. He dropped a bunch of albums that flopped with a bunch of weak singles.

KRS One was apart of BDP in the 80's and then reinvented himself in the 90's with songs like Sound of Da Police and Step Into A World etc. between BDP and his 90's stuff he had a solid 10 year run, with gold selling albums and hits. Nelly may have had bigger hits than KRS One, but his legacy dwarfs Nelly's. [/
    Nelly is a fly by night rapper? Never knew

Define "relevant"?

Everything you said in this post is subjective.

Like what? Was Nelly's run longer than 6 years the most? Like what? KRS One being influential? Like what? KRS One isn't considered top 5/goat status depending on who you ask? The only subjective thing I said is about the albums.

If you have to ask certain people if somebody is top 5 then that is subjective. Who in the game right now has KRS One influenced? The top artist in the game right now is a clear offspring of Nelly. And from 2000-2008 Nelly dropped either Gold or Platinum albums. That would make a 9-10 year run.

Old school cats that grew up on 70's/80's hip hop. I used to work with a dude (rip to him) that had Kane as his goat but KRS One was in his top 5, another old dude I knew had KRS in his top 5. So like I said depending on who you ask he's top 5. Younger cats that grew up on 90's/00's hip hop may have a different top 5/goat that may not include KRS.

You ask who in the game right now that he influenced? Nas, Fat Joe, Cam'ron, Snoop, Ice Cube to name a few.

Drake is the hottest in the game right now and there is absolutely nothing similar about them outside of the occasional harmonizing. If that's who you're referencing.

Nelly's last gold/platinum selling (not shipped gold) album was the Sweat/Suit albums he dropped in 2004. Which was the end of his run. He dropped a bunch of albums that flopped with a bunch of weak singles.

KRS One was apart of BDP in the 80's and then reinvented himself in the 90's with songs like Sound of Da Police and Step Into A World etc. between BDP and his 90's stuff he had a solid 10 year run, with gold selling albums and hits. Nelly may have had bigger hits than KRS One, but his legacy dwarfs Nelly's.

Jamaica, RIAA clearly states Brass Knuckles in 2009 is certified Gold and Nelly's last big single was Just A Dream in 2010 that went 3X Platinum.
    And you are a fool if you can't see that Nelly open the door for ? like Drake to be successful.
  • P. Town
    Options
    I'm around old cats too and out they mouths I've never heard no KRS One. Rakim, Kane, Kool G Rap, but never no KRS One. I was young around that time, but I can go back and listen and none of you old ? can tell me that KRS One is on they levels. Let that man be average.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why I gotta be all that , fam? I'm 32 years old so I was around for the "Golden age".

? ..you were born in 1983...criminal minded came out in 86...you don't know ? about the golden era..
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

u are reaching and tryna start regional ? , u used to be better than this. u dont even know where ? is from(no one knows where genocide is from)

KRS One dropped the better diss records lyrically ? on Nelly-subjective as ? u prolly cant even recall any quotables w/o google's help.

lol @ mainstream spotlight, a place krs has never been. he never needed it for any of his other beefs but now its a valid excuse, ? please. and u know damn well he aint end nelly career. and i hope u aint just making up that summer jam ? . nelly was at such a high, he was bound to fall off, every one has highs and lows to some extent but krs one had no effect on him and u know this. u say maybe its cuz people didnt care. why wouldnt they care about a legend, they cared about cassidy vs meek when meek was the bigger star. maybe krs one diss was just ? wack. this discussion is clearly proof of ? that are fans of ? b4 their time being upset that not everyone likes the same ? and because of that they will reach and cry and even make up more slander about the artist they love than what was actually said.

i could see a generation only knowing nelly for acting if we were talm bout 2025 or sum

at the end of the day krs one aint do what he said he was gon do and his diss musically wasnt strong enough, he lost. its like in sports when a team gets the upset win, dont mean they better fundamentally or overall, but on that night, they lost.

Genocide is from SC, and all the dudes I listed are from the south. I'm not starting regional ? , I'm stating what I've noticed.

Lyrics/lyricism is not subjective I thought we already established that?

KRS One's peak was in the 80's, Nelly started popping 12/13 years after KRS One's peak. That's like if Nelly tried to beef with Drake NOW. When KRS One was beefing with Shan KRS was in his prime popularity wise.

I never said KRS One ended Nelly's career. I said it was coincidental how Nelly's career took a nosedive after beefing with KRS One. Yes Nelly did get booed off the stage at summerjam that's documented fact.

KRS diss being "wack" is subjective. Nelly had the pop audience and better resources at the time so his ? got heard. Nelly responded on the Roc Tha Mic remix a popular song at the time. Radio wasn't playing KRS's response due to his run being over.

No one gives a ? who ? like and don't like. Nelly and KRS don't belong in the same category and this argument is disgraceful. And KRS had the better diss lyrically so he won. But I'm arguing with a dude that probably don't give a ? that Drake used ghostwriters because the songs were hot. So of course you'd think Nelly "won" the beef. Hip hop has become a bizarro world.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    @P.Town it shipped gold. To date it has sold 300k+ copies as of right now. I don't see any Nelly influence in Drake. I see Wayne, Jay, Phonte from Little Brother but no Nelly. I guess because they're both lightskin and harmonize that's what you're looking at.
  • T. Sanford
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm around old cats too and out they mouths I've never heard no KRS One. Rakim, Kane, Kool G Rap, but never no KRS One. I was young around that time, but I can go back and listen and none of you old ? can tell me that KRS One is on they levels. Let that man be average.

They don't wanna see the light bruh. Krs One has been calling himself the teacher for so long that it's clouding their judgement on the real. Krs One is juiced up to be this rapper that you never diss & even said that he write diss songs for the top 10 popular rappers but when it is time to flex his muscle & show why you don't diss him then he came up atrocious with wack lines

"I don't mean to knock ya Nelly
    But ain't you that MTV house ? with a spine like jelly?"

with a spine like jelly?????????????????? really bruh lol? That line is the 2002 version of "you sweeter than a butter cup" lol but they don't wanna admit that the teacher failed them
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »

They don't wanna see the light bruh. Krs One has been calling himself the teacher for so long that it's clouding their judgement on the real. Krs One is juiced up to be this rapper that you never diss & even said that he write diss songs for the top 10 popular rappers but when it is time to flex his muscle & show why you don't diss him then he came up atrocious with wack lines

with a spine like jelly?????????????????? really bruh lol? That line is the 2002 version of "you sweeter than a butter cup" lol but they don't wanna admit that the teacher failed them

I'm a longtime KRS fan and I bought all of his albums up to I Got Next. Having said that, KRS's diss to Nelly was weak and the beat and production wasn't hot. Especially considering Takeover and Ether had just come out, we were expecting some heat and his diss was lukewarm at best.

In case anybody hasn't heard it, here it is;

Ova Here - KRS Dissing Nelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuY9sK6fQE

You Don't Really Want It - KRS One diss to Nelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHO_GlU2OOY
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But the Nelly diss was fire enough to "wash" him ....lol ? baby please
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I'm a longtime KRS fan and I bought all of his albums up to I Got Next. Having said that, KRS's diss to Nelly was weak and the beat and production wasn't hot. Especially considering Takeover and Ether had just come out, we were expecting some heat and his diss was lukewarm at best.

In case anybody hasn't heard it, here it is;

Ova Here - KRS Dissing Nelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuY9sK6fQE

You Don't Really Want It - KRS One diss to Nelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHO_GlU2OOY

I'm glad we can come to common ground on this topic. He kinda was over doing himself with the many diss tracks too. A rapper at his caliber & background, his first drop supposed to been flames. It was a huge let down
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly almost forgot nelly and krs had beef. that ? was one of those insignificant early 2000's era beefs that was dry as ? by both parties.

I don't even think about nelly when I think krs, I'd consider krs more influential in the grand scheme of things.
  • P. Town
    Options

Chuck D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KRS One