Stephon Marbury Calls Out Jordan: "You're Paying $200 for Jordans and They Make Them for $5"

Options

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I got some leather vans for 65 dollars and I usually buy them.

? i coukd MAKE a Vans right now lol so they probably cost $1 to make...everybody in the same boat
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Starburys was dirt cheap

starbury.jpg

camper-tries-to-clown-michael-jordan-with-what-are-those-meme-learns-jordan-is-un-clownable-1438706188.jpg?crop=0.5633528265107213xw:1xh;0.21832358674463936xw,0xh&output-quality=75
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only a few good businessmen in here smh...

Only broke ? complain about ? they want costing too much. If you want it...do what it takes to get it.

OR, buy them WACK ASS Starbury's LMFAO
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    The crazy thing is in some way Marbury is the ? for NOT selling his shoes for $100+
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Capitalism at its finest personally I wouldn't pay $175-$250 for some sneaker that it isn't costing Nike probably any more than about $40-$50 tops to make and I'm likely overestimating on that.

If demand for them at that price is high then it's a good business strategy to sell them for that.

I know companies are about profits, but unless I'm just head over heels in love with something and it's a can't miss item to me I would not be paying the 150% mark up or more they have on a given item.

To me a sneaker isn't something that will likely increase in value such as real estate nor will the sneaker transport me to make money or make money for me unless I sell them; they serve as nothing more than a fashion and status symbol to me therefore not worth the significant mark up but they might be to the next man or woman.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Only broke ? complain about ? they want costing too much. If you want it...do what it takes to get it.

The whole "but he gettin money while you ? broke" argument exposes your inner ? . They're are ppl of other races, white, hispanic & asian that are wealthy & are STILL heavily invested in their respective communities. But for some particular reason, ignorant azz negroids like you, cosign rich black celebs turning their back on their own smh. I wish you ? would magically just disappear from planet earth sometimes
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • Crude_
    Options
    To add to that this is just something we have to live with on some things I guarantee you it isn't costing Apple $600-$1,000 to manufacture a single iPhone, but by the time they get to the shelves for consumer purchase that's what they are priced at.

Same with vehicles as well it doesn't cost GM anywhere near 70K-80K to manufacture a Cadillac Escalade and the list goes on....
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The crazy thing is in some way Marbury is the ? for NOT selling his shoes for $100+

so sad how stupid you are dam shame
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    Killer Mike had this on his Twitter the other day

2n1yj3d.jpg
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    To add to that this is just something we have to live with on some things I guarantee you it isn't costing Apple $600-$1,000 to manufacture a single iPhone, but by the time they get to the shelves for consumer purchase that's what they are priced at.

Same with vehicles as well it doesn't cost GM anywhere near 70K-80K to manufacture a Cadillac Escalade and the list goes on....

it cost Apple $150 to make the most recent iphone
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I can't wait until Michael Jordan speak out against killing over his shoes. Maybe then crime in our community will disappear. That's the only thing that's holding us back

He said republicans buy Jordan's too.... ? him
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    It's ? up that ppl are getting killed and robbed over shoes, and Nike still doing limited releases. When all they have to do is make more, not saying that would solve all the problems but it would help.

Another thing about the price of Jordans, yea they expensive but also they not a necessity. If you can't afford em you not gonna die. I commend Steph giving ppl affordable alternatives.

At this point though we should be more worried about affordable housing.
  • yellowtapesport
    Options

The whole "but he gettin money while you ? broke" argument exposes your inner ? . They're are ppl of other races, white, hispanic & asian that are wealthy & are STILL heavily invested in their respective communities. But for some particular reason, ignorant azz negroids like you, cosign rich black celebs turning their back on their own smh. I wish you ? would magically just disappear from planet earth sometimes

So I guess you're helping your community by typing this ? right?

IF, notice the CAPITAL IF, I was broke and wanted some J's...I'm not gonna complain about how much they cost. I'm gonna do what it takes to get them J's. That goes for car, house, shirt, boxers, ? even advanced degrees.

I'm gonna assume you a grown man so how can you feel like one when you still expect a handout from another grown man?? Most celebs have a craft that they perfected (w/out U) to make money and you still think they owe your broke ass anything? Not cosigning...just not sitting with my hand out.

• Crude_
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

Then they turn around and charge $600-$700 for 16 GB phone; I don't know who would buy a 16 GB phone in 2015 but obviously folks are still doing it.

I bet they make $500 or better in straight profit of every one of those things they manufacture that's still over 100% profit margins.
  • yellowtapesport
    Options

so sad how stupid you are dam shame

And I can tell you've never sold ANYTHING
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    All shoes do the same thing. Its up to the consumer to gauge the value of a product. Only a damn fool would spend $150+ for shoes when they don't do ? but cover your feet
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

Then they turn around and charge $600-$700 for 16 GB phone; I don't know who would buy a 16 GB phone in 2015 but obviously folks are still doing it.

I bet they make $500 or better in straight profit of every one of those things they manufacture that's still over 100% profit margins.

16gb aint ? tho Crude lol

if you dont wanna pay all the money for data to stream your music, putting it on your memory card is still the best option. Plus a lot of apps can eat away at it and not to mention the biggest culprit are pics and videos

But to your point, idk how much profit they have after they spend money on all that marketing. Its not like they just eating off ATT to remain exclusive anymore either

but still..lets just say they are left with $300 from each sale. They still doubled their profit.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what? That's how fashion works. People are buying the brand, not the material. And i don't get why people always talk about the price of Jordans, but not the 99% other overpriced fashion items pushed by white people.

There's are tons of cheap shoes are payless or outlets, so it's not like people can't get shoes to wear.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    props to marbury and this aint new he was saying the same ? damn near a decade ago when he launced starbury. hakeem did the same thing with champion back in the day (and i wanna say Shaq had a cheap shoe as well once he got off reebok )

dont think its nothing wrong with what he said, but i think he shouldnt have called MJ indivdually nor Lebron. Is your issue with the high cost of kicks? or that THOSE names arent doing what you perceived to be enough? cuz if you mad at MJ, then u gotta be mad at Nike, Reebok, Adidas etc etc. I have no issue with that. But think its kinda wack to diss MJ, while not mentioning all the other lines that are doing the same thing. what MJ does for the hood, thats an entirely different argument

Now of course these are businesses and profit is whats its about at the end of the day. And the only reason them shoes are so high, because mafuckas will pay for them. MJ a billionaire, he dont need my money, but too each its own. ? this past weekend i was at the mall looking at some timbs.. $130 + tax. and i was like yeah im not paying 130 for some boots. other ? reading this will think 130 aint that expensive, well to me 130 for shoes just arent worth it to me. differnt strokes differnt folks

at the end of the day consumers run ? (LIKE ALWAYS). folks paying 200-300$ for kicks, and cats robbing for them, Thats on the consumer (even though i think Nike should obviously release enough pairs for everyone). People put to much stake into that ? (materialism in general). But i wont ? on people for buying them, we have all wasted money on ? regardless of whoyou are. I just smh more when its a BROKE ? acting as if his need to get them MJ's is parallel to him needing a roof over his head. ? they just shoes
  • yellowtapesport
    Options
    NORMAL RETAIL MARK-UP IS >200%

And that's on ANY product. ? forget that companies gotta split that profit up between salaries, utilities, mortagages, etc they not pocketing the entire profit. So it only makes sense that there is a mark-up that may not make sense to you as a consumer but like someone else said...

You have other options.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The real people holding back blacks are not Michael Jordan and his supporters. It's you stupid people.... You dumb ? this is capitalism Get with the ? program or get rolled over.

If you can't be used you are useless and companies charge what ever price they feel necessary. Next year I will be buying doubles of every ? foamposite and those are even more expensive than Jordans. And no Nike shouldn't increase the numbers they release that would ? with the marketing
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    did he eat the vaseline during this rant too or nah?

but...? some J's. I buy nike stock. yall keep buying them and keep making me money *evil laugh*

Funny Bomani Jones was talking to someone on his radio show about this idea of buying stocks in a shoe company vs buying the shoes....and he said its foolish to think you can't do both as if it's impossible and only buying the stock doesn't put you on a moral high ground...
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    There are certain debates that make a lot of sense when you're say, 20

Then you hit 30 and its like....wait, that doesnt make ANY ? sense

Did that 30k car you got cost 30k to make?

You buy a 200k house and put 50k of sweat equity into it turn it into a gem...you sellin it for 250k? Lls

Big examples to small. Was just in Vegas dude sellin water for $1. He probably bought a pack of 20 for $5. Should he be sellin em for 25 cents bc 'thats what it cost to get/make'?

Cmon people. Smarten up. This is a child's argument

u really compare buying a house to sneakers?
    once u buy a sneaker n wear it, the value goes down.. a house is an investment and can be passed down..

a car is also an investment... in terms of what it means of getting from point a to b... if u wear a sneaker everday for a year , your gonna have to replace it... cause of how worn it will become.. some investment.
    ppl are buying 300 sneakers just for the name n logo.

Buying a car is NOT an investment llls So sad. Anyone with a brain would tell you a car depreciates in value the second you drive it off the lot

And Im a lil disappointed and quite frankly embarrassed that you couldn't digest that vey straight forward example: Nothing IN LIFE, in business, do you sell for the same cost you make it. Thats pretty ? straight forward.

The easiest way for you to digest that is examples of other clothes, handbags, jewelry, but it works for ANYTHING. The ? sellin ribs on the side of the road, those ribs didnt cost him $10 per plate to make. I mean how do you not understand that point, are you slow?

mode of transportation is not an investment????

Oh, and the FUNNIEST angle to all this is them sneakerheads have gotten the last laugh, because Jordans DO appreciate with value now

If you were a forward thibker a few years back and kept your OG's locked up, those $150 XI's go for $600 now

If u a newbie to it, you buy a $200 pair of OG Jordans and at worst you can resell em for 300-400 in a year or so

That's SHORT term. What happens if Jordan decides to chill on dropping retros evry year. Hell what if they stop makin retros all together. You now have a $1,000 collectible

I have a degree in marketing. Its CRIMINAL, COMICAL, how people have this conversation without acknowledging DEMAND. Its supply AND DEMAND.

If you buy a $100 steak at Ruth Cris you dont say 'it didnt cost $100 to make that' smh

only if u don't or barely wear them....
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack! Go at Jordan for investing in private prisons, not selling his shoe for whatever price point he feels is best. If the people will buy it at $200+, why not sell it for that much? It's called supply and demand.

And the argument about kids killing each other over Jordans is trash. If not Jordans, it would be something else. They're "killing each other" over valuable items, so to single out Jordans is ridiculous.

Let's talk about the mind state these people are in, who commit such silly crimes. Let's work on fixing the root cause, not some surface ? .
    Sounds alot like "black lives matter? We SHOULD be talking about black on black crime". ? just change the subject as if what they about to say is so important

The #1 consumer of Air Jordan's shoes is BLACK PEOPLE. If you selling shoes to the black community & see them murdering each other over YOUR product, the least a ? could do is release a statement saying "we don't condone any senseless acts of violence over our product". That's it. But he won't because a) Jordan only sees $$$ and b) doesn't give 2 ? about his ppl anyway. So in other words "let them ? keep killing each other".

Is this true? I see A LOT of non blacks in Jordans...

he said #1 consumer,not only consumer. but u smart tho..........