IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    What do yall pro black but with a spouse of a different race people do with a situation like this?

So if you are 100% pro black with a spouse of a different race your moves might actually take food off of her family plate (mother, father , brother, sister, etc) or bring harm to them. So if she brings these issues to you what are you going to do? Continue to improve your lot and that of your people or back off because that is bringing stress and arguments into your home because things you are doing is affecting your spouse family?

Those conflicts should have been explored before you even got married. Ya'll are inserting race into what is really a compatibility issue. You could ask that same exact question with both parties being black. What if the black chick you're dating is the daughter of a cop? Do you stop dating her because you are involved in anti-police brutality protests? The answer to your question is you don't marry anyone who will force you to change your core principles regardless of race.

So nothing changes after you get married. Thanks learned something new today!

Its not a compatibility issue.

Once again like I said earlier whats understood doesn't need to be said.

It is a compatibility. You making a meaningless statement and then claiming it's not doesn't change reality. And once again, it's not even inherently a race issue. Again, you you can ask your exact same question taking out any reference to race:

If you have a spouse, and your moves might take food off of her family's plate or bring harm to them. If she brings these issues to you what are you going to do? Continue to improve your lot or back off because that is bringing stress and arguments into your home because things you are doing are affecting your spouse's family?

I basically restated your question without any mention of race, and the question is just as valid. You just shoe horned race into it. The fact is you have to ask and answer this question whether you're marrying within your race or not. It most certainly is a compatibility issue. You have to decide whether your principles, beliefs, and actions jive not only with those of your wife, but also with her family. If it's something you can make work, then fine. If you can't, that might not be the person for you.

If you have some kind of scenario where being pro-black is going to put you into direct conflict with your interracial fiance's family and this isn't obvious right away, please give it so we can see what you're talking about.

I told dude his question was stupid. Whatever difficulty there is in answering it does not derive from the racial component.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »

I don't want that kind of power for myself but i do want my people to live as true equals in this world because ? made the black man no weaker than other men and he loves us just as much as he does the rest.

In 2015 i don't expect all black people to unite under any one ideology i do however expect us to unite for our own economic and physical survival. The alternative is death or servitude and i certainly don't want that for black people and neither does ? .

The war is both spiritual and physical what is done in one world affects the next, black people have been praying for centuries and we have not been totally saved yet in fact now we are sinking deeper into spiritual darkness, because all a lot of us want to do is pray.

But the bible tells you that you can know a man by his fruit and what has been the fruit of your way of looking at our situation??? now but spiritual darkness and physical weakness we are the laughing stock of the world.

My work bears a different type of fruit. It doesn't directly have anything to do with uplifting my black people (according to the flesh) exclusively. but because I intend to do my Heavenly Fathers work however, by extension the fruit from that does benefit my black people, and not just them are my people, but my brothers/"black" people in the spirit as well.

And as for as the community, one of the major destructive issues we have is the slave behavior and ghetto mentality...this is an entire different discussion and thread that need to be had...we cant even get that part of the community under control. So yea, forget trying to save the community. just save yourself and whoever else you can influence.

how are you doing your heavenly fathers work by not actually doing anything in the physical world???? the bible says a man who leaves his house undone is worse than a heathen it also says that faith with out works is dead. What you are saying is very problematic if the problem with blacks is the slave behavior and ghetto mentality how are we ever going to fix those issues without physically destroying the source of that mentality.

both the inner and outer world affect each other if the environment is evil then people tend to fall to evil if it's good then people tend to fall to good. This is why in the o.t ? tells the isralites to be wary of the people they surround themselves with.

Not quite sure how you got that from my post, but that's not my stance on the matter. You mention I pray for peace and I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that but dont you know that the Heavenly Father does command his disciples to pray for their enemies? I mean he shows his kindness towards us in innumerable ways and if we consider that to be our father wouldn't we try to behave in a similar manner as our father? And before you go there, I'm not saying prayer is the ONLY thing to do, but it is part of it. So I disagree if you think it's ok for followers of Christ to just do away with that part just because you don't like it or understand how it work.

No christians have to pray but we also have to work, from what you say it seems that you are focused on prayer and just leaving everything up to ? . That is not enough christ did not just pray he went out and helped his people he was jewish and the first people he went to were other jews. So by that example we as black people have to fix ourselves first then reach out and help our brothers in humanity.

i agree all the brothers have to work and reach out in some manner but it doesn't have to be through politics. Though I think it would be a good thing if more Christians got involved in the politics of helping their people and all, but truth of the matter is ? is still in control whether a personal individual decide to help further his work or not. Believers are a body made up of many different roles and offices aimed at the same cause. All the brothers don't have to get involved in politics. Like I say i agree it would be good if more of us did but it not necessary that each and every one of us do. Even in whatever your personal role is don't think that prayers don't go towards helping you accomplish what your trying to accomplish as long as it's in line with ? plans too.

For the 100th time being pro-black is not about political advocacy the work that needs to be done can be simply raising your family with pro-black ideals. You keep talking about politics but what i am talking about is really a whole way of life it's a perspective and mental being. it's not simply political advocacy you can do the work of being problack without ever voting for anybody or talking to the public about your ideals.
  • zzombie
    Options
    @ the bold except that's not what i was doing if you read everything i have said you would have know that phenotype is only part of it.

If you interpret what i say as being too strong that's on you i could use softer language but what i say would have the same meaning. If you believe that you can be pro-black and marry the daughter of the imperial grand dragon then you are a compromised negrow. Is simply saying marry your own race if you want to identify as being pro that race hardline??? i think you are too weak line, The fastest thing that we can all do to better ourselves and community is have children and raise them in a good black family.

I did not talk very much about white people at all in this thread and except for me saying the white man is a natural ? i almost never talk about white people.

The part of the conversation, mainly with Khaleesi, did devolve into an argument about phenotypes. That's what I was responding to. You argument before that might have been more in depth. I don't know. I didn't read through the whole topic, but I wasn't really addressing that.

And no, you can't be pro-black and marry a blatant racist or someone who is close to blatant racists. Not every white person is like that. Going back to the Frederick Douglas example. The white chick he married worked for him as an abolitionist. That's how they met. Her parents were also abolitionists. She understood what Douglas was about and supported that. Tell me how him marrying her prevented him from continuing his pro black work. It didn't. He was still a bastion of the black community. Again, if you're a pan africanist or a black nationalist, I agree with you, you can't marry outside of your race and claim those beliefs. But pan africanists and black nationalists aren't the only people who can claim to be pro black.

Anyway, it ain't hardline to say that black people should marry black people. I agree with that. It is hardline to say that anyone who married someone outside of the community is not pro black. Absolute statements like that are usually foolish. As far as me being weak line, you can hold that opinion if you want. More often than not, I simply don't give a ? about what white people do or say. And so all the whining, ? , and moaning of the trivial ? they do is stupid to me. You can't legislate away racism and you can't make them not hate us, so why try. Let them be racist and proud. As long as they abide by the laws and don't interfere without our attempts to better ourselves, who cares what they say? It's better they be upfront with their racism than hide it.

Like i already tried to tell you anyone can do pro-black work even white people, so the work alone does not make you pro-black. PRO-BLACK LITERALLY means you favor black people, Therefore marrying a white woman is a clear sign that in your personal choices you are not pro-black. Attaining the goals of black nationalism is the ultimate goal of being pro-black.

The world is not all gray, areas of black and white do exist.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Word to @Pico

2zz3jax.jpg

I don't get it.

• AyeB_
    AyeB_ Members Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Word to @Pico

2zz3jax.jpg

I don't get it.

Khaleesi was saying because you have a black parent you should have the right to claim that you're black period.

She used you as an ex to show everyone else that her daughter is black.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Like i already tried to tell you anyone can do pro-black work even white people, so the work alone does not make you pro-black. PRO-BLACK LITERALLY means you favor black people, Therefore marrying a white woman is a clear sign that in your personal choices you are not pro-black. Attaining the goals of black nationalism is the ultimate goal of being pro-black.

Black nationalism is not the ultimate goal of being pro-black. Black prosperity is the ultimate goal of being pro-black. Black nationalism is just a proposed means of obtaining black prosperity, but it's not the only it's not the only proposed means of obtaining black prosperity.
  • zzombie
    Options

Black nationalism is not the ultimate goal of being pro-black. Black prosperity is the ultimate goal of being pro-black. Black nationalism is just a proposed means of obtaining black prosperity, but it's not the only it's not the only proposed means of obtaining black prosperity.

There is no other way to black prosperity other than black nationalism. taking being pro black to it's logical extent you end up with some form of black nationalism.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ayebaebae wrote: »
    Pico wrote: »
    Word to @Pico

2zz3jax.jpg

I don't get it.

Khaleesi was saying because you have a black parent you should have the right to claim that you're black period.

She used you as an ex to show everyone else that her daughter is black.
    Thanks bae. I was being slow today :-(
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

Black nationalism can be an independent goal -- a person can work towards that for its own sake, though I'm sure that he or she will want the black nation to be prosperous.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't want that kind of power for myself but i do want my people to live as true equals in this world because ? made the black man no weaker than other men and he loves us just as much as he does the rest.

In 2015 i don't expect all black people to unite under any one ideology i do however expect us to unite for our own economic and physical survival. The alternative is death or servitude and i certainly don't want that for black people and neither does ? .

The war is both spiritual and physical what is done in one world affects the next, black people have been praying for centuries and we have not been totally saved yet in fact now we are sinking deeper into spiritual darkness, because all a lot of us want to do is pray.

But the bible tells you that you can know a man by his fruit and what has been the fruit of your way of looking at our situation??? now but spiritual darkness and physical weakness we are the laughing stock of the world.

My work bears a different type of fruit. It doesn't directly have anything to do with uplifting my black people (according to the flesh) exclusively. but because I intend to do my Heavenly Fathers work however, by extension the fruit from that does benefit my black people, and not just them are my people, but my brothers/"black" people in the spirit as well.

And as for as the community, one of the major destructive issues we have is the slave behavior and ghetto mentality...this is an entire different discussion and thread that need to be had...we cant even get that part of the community under control. So yea, forget trying to save the community. just save yourself and whoever else you can influence.

how are you doing your heavenly fathers work by not actually doing anything in the physical world???? the bible says a man who leaves his house undone is worse than a heathen it also says that faith with out works is dead. What you are saying is very problematic if the problem with blacks is the slave behavior and ghetto mentality how are we ever going to fix those issues without physically destroying the source of that mentality.

both the inner and outer world affect each other if the environment is evil then people tend to fall to evil if it's good then people tend to fall to good. This is why in the o.t ? tells the isralites to be wary of the people they surround themselves with.

Not quite sure how you got that from my post, but that's not my stance on the matter. You mention I pray for peace and I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that but dont you know that the Heavenly Father does command his disciples to pray for their enemies? I mean he shows his kindness towards us in innumerable ways and if we consider that to be our father wouldn't we try to behave in a similar manner as our father? And before you go there, I'm not saying prayer is the ONLY thing to do, but it is part of it. So I disagree if you think it's ok for followers of Christ to just do away with that part just because you don't like it or understand how it work.

No christians have to pray but we also have to work, from what you say it seems that you are focused on prayer and just leaving everything up to ? . That is not enough christ did not just pray he went out and helped his people he was jewish and the first people he went to were other jews. So by that example we as black people have to fix ourselves first then reach out and help our brothers in humanity.

i agree all the brothers have to work and reach out in some manner but it doesn't have to be through politics. Though I think it would be a good thing if more Christians got involved in the politics of helping their people and all, but truth of the matter is ? is still in control whether a personal individual decide to help further his work or not. Believers are a body made up of many different roles and offices aimed at the same cause. All the brothers don't have to get involved in politics. Like I say i agree it would be good if more of us did but it not necessary that each and every one of us do. Even in whatever your personal role is don't think that prayers don't go towards helping you accomplish what your trying to accomplish as long as it's in line with ? plans too.

For the 100th time being pro-black is not about political advocacy the work that needs to be done can be simply raising your family with pro-black ideals. You keep talking about politics but what i am talking about is really a whole way of life it's a perspective and mental being. it's not simply political advocacy you can do the work of being problack without ever voting for anybody or talking to the public about your ideals.

Ok I didn't even say anything about being pro-black in that post.

We were discussing works. you brought up the faith without works is dead issue. Which is true. But this doesn't change the fact that ? still controls the nations and that as far as blacks condition on a national level it is not in our hands, no matter what we do. Lol
  • zzombie
    edited November 2015
    Options

Ok I didn't even say anything about being pro-black in that post.

We were discussing works. you brought up the faith without works is dead issue. Which is true. But this doesn't change the fact that ? still controls the nations and that as far as blacks condition on a national level it is not in our hands, no matter what we do. Lol

calvinist Nonsense. ? has given men freewill we can make ourselves fools or we can make ourselves wise.

? almighty created each and every one of us for a place in the world, and for the least of us to think that we were created only to be what we are and not what we can make ourselves,is to impute an improper motive to the creator for creating---- garvey
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no other way to black prosperity other than black nationalism. taking being pro black to it's logical extent you end up with some form of black nationalism.

Theory... Not fact

Which, frankly, is out of the scope of the conversation on colorism.

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Theory... Not fact

That's a fact white boy
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I wouldn't say there is no other way. I mean Asians and Jews prosper in this country and they haven't adopted nationalistic mindsets as a community.

However, supporting your community first and foremost is central principle of a nationalistic movement and I would agree that it is impossible for a community to prosper without subscribing to the principle to some degree.
  • Fosheezy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @zzombie - nah that's not Calvinism. free will exist but so does mere coincidence. Sometimes it don't even matter who the wisest, smartest or fastest is because time and chance happens to everything on this planet. How do you know the position blacks are now currently in isn't from ? or even from pure chance? At the end of the day you don't know you are guessing.

There's examples in the bible where Israel the ? chosen nation lost battles to other nations. The other nations didn't win the battle for no other reason than because ? USED them to punish Israel when they messed up. But here, it seems you would sum it up to the other nations own abilities. Thats not always the case

The only power you have is really on an individual level to determine your own decisions, anything beyond that ? only allows it for his own reasons he can ultimately over rule the outcome whenever he choose to because all power is from him. It not too hard to understand
  • zzombie
    Options

I wouldn't say there is no other way. I mean Asians and Jews prosper in this country and they haven't adopted nationalistic mindsets as a community.

However, supporting your community first and foremost is central principle of a nationalistic movement and I would agree that it is impossible for a community to prosper without subscribing to the principle to some degree.

If you think the jews are not nationalistic then you need to rethink your understand of that word.

JEWISH people have locked down who industries in america and worldwide and they plotted this ? for a good 300 years, and i am not saying that there was some organized jewish conspiracy. However European jews did hold onto some central and common principles and values that that helped propel their descendants into positions of power today. Not to mention zionism.

As for asians every city in america has a china town.

A people cannot prosper unless they have their own nation, they cannot prosper unless they are in a position to define for themselves what prosperity is. BLACK people in america seem to think having money means something in the grand scheme of things having money means ? . Having the power to control your money and it's value means everything.
  • zzombie
    Options
    @zzombie - nah that's not Calvinism. free will exist but so does mere coincidence. Sometimes it don't even matter who the wisest, smartest or fastest is because time and chance happens to everything on this planet. How do you know the position blacks are now currently in isn't from ? or even from pure chance? At the end of the day you don't know you are guessing.

There's examples in the bible where Israel the ? chosen nation lost battles to other nations. The other nations didn't win the battle for no other reason than because ? USED them to punish Israel when they messed up. But here, it seems you would sum it up to the other nations own abilities. Thats not always the case

The only power you have is really on an individual level to determine your own decisions, every other version of power comes from ? and he decides who to give it to.

No you have articulated a calvinist religious perspective, if a nation has no say so in their fate and ? is in total control then there is nothing we can do because our destiny has already been authored, such a perspective is the main component of calvinism.

I know the position black/african people are in is not the will of ? because ? wants no one to suffer, starve be treated like an animal or swallow indignity unnecessarily. If YOU ARE a christian you should know that ? 's will for all OF HUMANITY is for us TO know love, peace and mercy that's what he actually wants and i can pull bible verses and put them in context to prove it.

? decides who he blesses or curses based on their own merit and his will this is true for nations and for individuals
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to not be an exposure thread....this is doing numbers fast

lost and monkeys ass ? trying to outsmart each other...i just find it comical that the real posters who are about that black pride ? in real, ? like myself, dont even entertain threads like these...

Youre sooooo HUMBLE my ? .

Oh Lord that HUMILITY!!!

Dayumm I bet your ? dont stink

Youre SO HUMBLE!!
  • zzombie
    Options
    ? does not... give people positions or jobs or... good conditions such as they desire; they must do that for themselves.. ? does not build cities nor towns nor nations, nor homes, nor factories; men and people do that and all those who want must work for themselves and pray to ? to give them strength to do it.
    Marcus Garvey
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Theory... Not fact

That's a fact white boy

Prove it to me.

Lol @ being white because I don't agree with you ... Mature
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

If you think the jews are not nationalistic then you need to rethink your understand of that word.

JEWISH people have locked down who industries in america and worldwide and they plotted this ? for a good 300 years, and i am not saying that there was some organized jewish conspiracy. However European jews did hold onto some central and common principles and values that that helped propel their descendants into positions of power today. Not to mention zionism.

As for asians every city in america has a china town.

A people cannot prosper unless they have their own nation, they cannot prosper unless they are in a position to define for themselves what prosperity is. BLACK people in america seem to think having money means something in the grand scheme of things having money means ? . Having the power to control your money and it's value means everything.

Yeah, maybe we are using different definitions of nationalism. Jews in America maintain a strong Jewish community, but they haven't tried to create a 'Jewish Nation' within America. That is what many black nationalists suggest the black community needs. If by black nationalism, you just mean that black people support the black community above all others, the way Jews do, then I'd agree that the black community can't prosper without the majority of us taking up that kind of attitude.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time I hear someone say "mature" in response to something someone said, I think of that Dave Chappelle racial draft skit when he was the white news anchor and was like "very mature Rondell."

I be rollin for no reason.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with the bold. I don't think black nationalism is necessarily concerned with black prosperity as I understand it. I think most black nationalists would oppose black people marrying inter-racially, straightening their hair, integrating with non-blacks (I don't think integration implies assimilation) etc. even if it improved or didn't lower their quality of life. Most black nationalists would criticize someone for marrying someone non-black because they see them as have particular responsibilities toward black people that they don't toward outsiders (ie. they're being disloyal), not necessarily because they think they would be better off not marrying inter-racially. I think black nationalists want a distinct black society because they want a distinct black society, not necessarily because they believe black people would be better off in such a society.
    PRO-BLACK LITERALLY means you favor black people, Therefore marrying a white woman is a clear sign that in your personal choices you are not pro-black.

Under this definition, I don't understand why white people can't be considered pro-black. Someone is pro-black if they are for advancing the interests of black people. I don't see the logical connection in marrying a white woman contradicting your wanting black people to prosper. Unless maybe you want black people to prosper because they're black and not because you want people in general to prosper (even then I think the issue would be with where your money goes or other indirect reasons since people typically don't marry for altruistic reasons, I don't think marrying interracially would be much different than not marrying at all). Doesn't this contradict your Christian faith? You had a couple other posts I disagreed with, you claimed IR dating/marriage clearly contradicted being pro-black or something like that and I didn't understand how you jumped from one point to the next.
  • Fosheezy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No you have articulated a calvinist religious perspective, if a nation has no say so in their fate and ? is in total control then there is nothing we can do because our destiny has already been authored, such a perspective is the main component of calvinism.
    Nope, I'm aware of what Calvinistic teaching is. I didn't argue Calvinism, That's what you think i argued. unlike Clavinistic teaching, I never argue that individuals don't have a choice and that our choices are predetermined. I'm saying no matter our choice on certain matters - for instance, voting for the president elect- ? in the present-active tense interjects and manipulate the situation to produce an outcome he decide. The choices we make don't matter in this instance. And It doesn't take predetermination for that to occur. There's biblical example of this.

? decides what nations go into power, which kings or rulers go into power and he uses people as the instruments to accomplish this. It's not the people that decide this themselves. There's biblical examples proving this.

I think you have misunderstanding on how ? rules from heaven and on earth and how his providence work.
    I know the position black/african people are in is not the will of ? because ? wants no one to suffer, starve be treated like an animal or swallow indignity unnecessarily. If YOU ARE a christian you should know that ? 's will for all OF HUMANITY is for us TO know love, peace and mercy that's what he actually wants and i can pull bible verses and put them in context to prove it.

? decides who he blesses or curses based on their own merit and his will this is true for nations and for individuals
    The fact that ? loves us and doesn't want his people to unnecessarily suffer doesn't mean that he won't allow wicked choices of others against his people to occur, and use this as a way to accomplish a greater end for them later.

• Fosheezy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ? does not... give people positions or jobs or... good conditions such as they desire; they must do that for themselves.. ? does not build cities nor towns nor nations, nor homes, nor factories; men and people do that and all those who want must work for themselves and pray to ? to give them strength to do it.
    Marcus Garvey

Brother Garvey a good dude but nah ? we shouldn't directly contradict scripture like that just to make a point.

“Look among the nations and watch—
    Be utterly astounded!
    For I will work a work in your days
    Which you would not believe, though it were told you.
    For indeed I am raising up the Chaldeans, A bitter and hasty nation

Which marches through the breadth of the earth,
    To possess dwelling places that are not theirs. Habakkuk 1:5-6