The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    i just got my palo alto certification - PCNSE6 - Palo Alto certified network security engineer. it was easy and its the equivalent of a CCNP in security (which i already have)

Palo alto is the future in security.

whats makes it superior?

I wouldn't call PA superior overall, but their management platform is better than Cisco. And well so are centralized management platforms for Juniper SRX and Checkpoint (better than Cisco). Performance wise, Cisco is better. Damn near all of them are Linux boxes on the backend with different chipsets and asics (other than Checkooint variations e.g. Nokia).

Other than that, Palo Alto networks is a player staying in their lane. It's a relatively small company with a couple of buildings. They moved into Yahoos old buildings 2 years back. Their major selling point is that they are focused on firewalls. So it's a laser focus for the entire company vs. companies with business units that do firewall products. This focus puts them ahead in their lane like Riverbed cut into and took over the WAN Optimization market so Cisco is (feature depth-wise) playing catch up in both of those lanes. PA along with Checkpoint lead the way for next gen firewall products mainly because their mgmt platforms are so scalable vs Cisco who's major advantage has been performance and but weak point is enterprise management. But Cisco did buy Source Fire which is going to add to their depth to make their firewalls "next gen firewalls" like Checkpoint and PA. The drawback and irony of it all is that "next gen" features (ips, scanning, automated response to VMs, etc) take so much fine tuning, impede performance, and throw so many false positives (sec threat alerts) that people end up turning most of that ? off. As long as they have a cluster of firewalls performing well, a bank of web caches, load balancers, and some inline sec scanning tools most businesses are happy.

PA is partnering with other players like A10 to bring integrated solutions so there are some emerging things coming down the pipe. Depending on what's needed I guess it could be superior......for a particular customer.

Also, deployment wise (depth of integrated sec features aside) PA isn't doing anything any of the other companies aren't. The way their firewalls work are pretty much the same as everyone else's...clusters, failover pairs, blah blah. Cisco clustering is currently more scalable than PAs though (but they function damn near identical as far as how they handle network traffic).

To wrap it all up......know them all and how what fits where....and you can sell any of them to get that bread.

Damn bruh...where do you get all of this information? What websites or magazines do you read?

@leftcoastkev
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    i just got my palo alto certification - PCNSE6 - Palo Alto certified network security engineer. it was easy and its the equivalent of a CCNP in security (which i already have)

Palo alto is the future in security.

whats makes it superior?

I wouldn't call PA superior overall, but their management platform is better than Cisco. And well so are centralized management platforms for Juniper SRX and Checkpoint (better than Cisco). Performance wise, Cisco is better. Damn near all of them are Linux boxes on the backend with different chipsets and asics (other than Checkooint variations e.g. Nokia).

Other than that, Palo Alto networks is a player staying in their lane. It's a relatively small company with a couple of buildings. They moved into Yahoos old buildings 2 years back. Their major selling point is that they are focused on firewalls. So it's a laser focus for the entire company vs. companies with business units that do firewall products. This focus puts them ahead in their lane like Riverbed cut into and took over the WAN Optimization market so Cisco is (feature depth-wise) playing catch up in both of those lanes. PA along with Checkpoint lead the way for next gen firewall products mainly because their mgmt platforms are so scalable vs Cisco who's major advantage has been performance and but weak point is enterprise management. But Cisco did buy Source Fire which is going to add to their depth to make their firewalls "next gen firewalls" like Checkpoint and PA. The drawback and irony of it all is that "next gen" features (ips, scanning, automated response to VMs, etc) take so much fine tuning, impede performance, and throw so many false positives (sec threat alerts) that people end up turning most of that ? off. As long as they have a cluster of firewalls performing well, a bank of web caches, load balancers, and some inline sec scanning tools most businesses are happy.

PA is partnering with other players like A10 to bring integrated solutions so there are some emerging things coming down the pipe. Depending on what's needed I guess it could be superior......for a particular customer.

Also, deployment wise (depth of integrated sec features aside) PA isn't doing anything any of the other companies aren't. The way their firewalls work are pretty much the same as everyone else's...clusters, failover pairs, blah blah. Cisco clustering is currently more scalable than PAs though (but they function damn near identical as far as how they handle network traffic).

To wrap it all up......know them all and how what fits where....and you can sell any of them to get that bread.

Damn bruh...where do you get all of this information? What websites or magazines do you read?

@leftcoastkev
    I live in Silicon Valley and have been doing this stuff for a long time.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Starting this networking journey. Currently studying for the CCNA(gonna do the 2 test method) Any recommendations on home lab setups? Im looking to get 3 routers and 3 switches

For ccna you can really get by on packet tracer

I think they made it available for everyone now you don't need to be a Cisco student
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Might take CCNP switch week just finished reading the book and watching the Nuggets

Any good practice exams out there?
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Might take CCNP switch week just finished reading the book and watching the Nuggets

Any good practice exams out there?

Let me know how that goes, I need to start studying for my ccnp as well. I have an interview with intel this week, and toyota is supposed to be hiring down here soon too.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Anyone got a list or a breakdown of all the bugs and glitches in the CCNP switch exam?

I'm trying to take it soon since I read the book and watched all the Nuggets but I ain't trying to take a $300 L on a Sim question freezing up or glitching out on me
  • King Erauno
    Options
    if it glitches, tell the proctor and they'll let you retake it or move to a new machine
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been through mad family tragedy this in 16 going into 17 and I had a cushy job doing asset management at a hospital, I'm not super pressed to find a job I have been getting offers to jobs without even applying but I need to step my IT game back up I've been slacking heavily due to stress I got my A+N+

I need to go retake my CCNA I failed that because I didn't save my sim almost a year since it happens or a year I need to start studying again other than the main certs where do I get info about stuff like like

solar winds
    Hardware software licensing

I got a call from a recruiter in SC asking me about doing it asset management but I didn't know much about hardware software licensing

These little things are holding me back from making real money
  • Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice about staying focused, and maintaining your studies?

I guess I just have the flaw of lacking self discipline.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hevalisk wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice about staying focused, and maintaining your studies?

Give Incentives, reward yourself from time to time and make sure u stay ahead

Whether its food, a blunt, ? , a day off, a drink or whatever

Just a few hours to get away and after that tho u gotta get back to it

Always remember u aint missing out on nothing when u getting ur ? together
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Hevalisk wrote: »

Give Incentives, reward yourself from time to time and make sure u stay ahead

Whether its food, a blunt, ? , a day off, a drink or whatever

Just a few hours to get away and after that tho u gotta get back to it

Always remember u aint missing out on nothing when u getting ur ? together

THIS
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IDK if any of you ? live in NY but MTA is having a open house go to career builder and search MTA send your resume then they will email you saying that they will review your resume to see if you qualify for the open house or not I got accepted already
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yo I just had a interview and I really feel like I bombed it on the technical questions. I found out about the interview while I was in Vegas so there was no real time to study up on the fly.

Now I am motivated to dig in deep. I am hoping that I impressed them with my motivation and drive rather than my ability to recall the network info.

Some stuff they asked me.
    VMware
    Ip subnet and calculations
    dude actually dropped a IP address on me. I had to come up with the amount of host.
    UNIX
    active directory.
    VLANs and trunking

? was nerve racking but I know to get back in those books.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been through mad family tragedy this in 16 going into 17 and I had a cushy job doing asset management at a hospital, I'm not super pressed to find a job I have been getting offers to jobs without even applying but I need to step my IT game back up I've been slacking heavily due to stress I got my A+N+

I need to go retake my CCNA I failed that because I didn't save my sim almost a year since it happens or a year I need to start studying again other than the main certs where do I get info about stuff like like

solar winds
    Hardware software licensing

I got a call from a recruiter in SC asking me about doing it asset management but I didn't know much about hardware software licensing

These little things are holding me back from making real money

Solarwinds products can usually be downloaded on a trial basis. If I were you, I'd take a couple hundred dollars and grab an HP DL360 G5 or G6 or if you want to go big a DL380 G5 or G6, load it up with drives and at least 32GB of memory and drop Xen Server on it to stand up a virtual lab at the crib. That way you can put together an environment to learn whatever you need.
  • Sorrow_god
    Sorrow_god Members Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Options
    Just wanna give a quick update, Started doing IT 3 years ago and dove headfirst into it. started making 25k 1st year 35 2nd year got my CCNP and now Im making 60k this year after changing jobs again.

Don't be scared to learn new technologies as it will only help you in the long run. Keep hustling yall. This is King_sorrow by the way.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Sorrow_? wrote: »
    Just wanna give a quick update, Started doing IT 3 years ago and dove headfirst into it. started making 25k 1st year 35 2nd year got my CCNP and now Im making 60k this year after changing jobs again.

Don't be scared to learn new technologies as it will only help you in the long run. Keep hustling yall. This is King_sorrow by the way.

Fam... who you tellin. I started out on a helpdesk at $33K/yr. By my 3rd year I was clockin $32/hr even though I took time off to try my hand as a loan officer for 8 months. In just that short amount of time I picked up Solaris 8, AS/400, System V Unix, Linux, and got sharper with my Windows skills.

Just under two years later, with another 8 month interruption in the mortgage biz (this time as a subprime/alt-A account executive), I was knockin down $41/hr thanks to those skills plus more (Websphere deployments, Solaris 9, RHEL 2.1-3, AIX 5 and 5.3, HP-UX 10 and 11, IRIX 5.3 and 6.x)

Outside of high risk trading, I can't think of another career path where you can make leaps in salary like that in such a short amount of time.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    forgot to post in here but I passed CCNP Switch a couple days ago
  • Sorrow_god
    Sorrow_god Members Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    forgot to post in here but I passed CCNP Switch a couple days ago

Lets get it B!!!
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    yup Route about to get that work next
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any nuggets on Solaris?
  • King Erauno
    Options

Fam... who you tellin. I started out on a helpdesk at $33K/yr. By my 3rd year I was clockin $32/hr even though I took time off to try my hand as a loan officer for 8 months. In just that short amount of time I picked up Solaris 8, AS/400, System V Unix, Linux, and got sharper with my Windows skills.

Just under two years later, with another 8 month interruption in the mortgage biz (this time as a subprime/alt-A account executive), I was knockin down $41/hr thanks to those skills plus more (Websphere deployments, Solaris 9, RHEL 2.1-3, AIX 5 and 5.3, HP-UX 10 and 11, IRIX 5.3 and 6.x)

Outside of high risk trading, I can't think of another career path where you can make leaps in salary like that in such a short amount of time.

good ? fellas!!!!!!!.

i started helpdesk in school $9/hr
    went to geek squad $12/hr
    went to tier 3 at time warner $30k/year
    went to another company and got $48/yr

just off of helpdesk alone. then i jumped into my ccna and then ccnp security...
    got a job in atl at 70k/yr
    after 2 years i got bored and wanted more money... left for a company making 95/yr. i was there for 4 months then my old job wanted me back.. they matched the 95k/year

then i got my PCSNE6

i ditched them after another year for my current job at 130/yr. once i learn this NSX ? im going to ask for 160/yr

wanted to add on to this thread. not trying to boast by any means, just goes to show you. keep hustling and keep looking for new opportunities. who cares if you're at a job for 6 months. get what you can and get out.

went from 30k to 130+ in 5 years. it can be done
  • konceptjones
    edited April 2017
    Options

good ? fellas!!!!!!!.

i started helpdesk in school $9/hr
    went to geek squad $12/hr
    went to tier 3 at time warner $30k/year
    went to another company and got $48/yr

just off of helpdesk alone. then i jumped into my ccna and then ccnp security...
    got a job in atl at 70k/yr
    after 2 years i got bored and wanted more money... left for a company making 95/yr. i was there for 4 months then my old job wanted me back.. they matched the 95k/year

then i got my PCSNE6

i ditched them after another year for my current job at 130/yr. once i learn this NSX ? im going to ask for 160/yr

wanted to add on to this thread. not trying to boast by any means, just goes to show you. keep hustling and keep looking for new opportunities. who cares if you're at a job for 6 months. get what you can and get out.

went from 30k to 130+ in 5 years. it can be done

Yeah, it's all about diversifying your skill set. You can't sit off doing JUST windows ? or JUST Linux/Unix or JUST networking. You gotta make yourself into a Jack of All Trades outchea. That's one of the reasons I always tell cats to just start buying hardware to keep your skills sharp. When I was working with Solaris a lot, I bought a couple of Sun machines to keep my skills up. I had a Sparcstation 20 I upgraded with a pair of Ross dual cpu modules and 256MB of RAM and then bought an Ultra 10 Creator3D with a 440MHz UltraSparc IIi, threw a gig of ram in it and Solaris 10.

I have a couple of Cisco 1720 routers and a couple of Catalyst 2950‑24 switches I picked up for cheap on ebay. I don't even think I've spent $120 on all of it (not including shipping) and, while it's not really enough to really study for a CCNA (and I REALLY need to replace the 1720's with at least 1760's or 1841's), it's enough to keep up the skills.

Invest a few hundred on some equipment and books and further your career. Jordans and weed can wait.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still looking, been grinding with this substitute teaching job
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Damn CCNP Route is gonna be a beast